Saturday, January 31, 2015

Busy time

What week! Times like this become a blur. My sisters cleaned out my mother's room at the home. I was really pleases that they did this because, to be really honest, it was something I was not looking forward to. Because I was in there so much in seemed too final to me. My sisters took me in there after the people in the home had it ready for the next resident but it just felt really strange, I felt like an intruder. I guess because I was in there so much for so long. My sisters also organised the cremation which was important we do straight away and I admit I was feeling extremely shell shocked at the time and reluctant to make a mistake which I could easily have done. Luckily they got everything organised. They also went through her clothes which were still stored here at the flat. I hate going through someone else's things, it just seems so wrong so it was good that they did this.

 It was lovely for them to be able to stay together and do things together. This is what we were able to do when Dad died as we all stayed together with Mum. This is very important for families at this time as otherwise you can feel very much apart and on your own. It is a time for bonding and remembering  and of course honouring a life well lived.

We did not have a funeral but we had a celebration of her life. This was something that Mum believed in. She believed that we should celebrate a life well lived otherwise we negated all that the person stood for in life. To this end we held it in a cafe that we have taken her to for many years. It was lovely and we also were all able to toast her with a glass of champagne. She would have loved that. She wished for her ashes and my father's ashes to be interred in her mother's plot. My sisters organised for this to be done immediately after the celebration.

Rest in peace Mum

1 comment: