Thursday, January 15, 2015

Communication with the Alzheimer's person

I have noticed, and I know others have the same feeling, that many people talk about the person with Alzheimer's in front of them as though they weren't there. Many people are very condescending in their dealings with these people while others are embarrassed. People with Alzheimer's are quite capable of understanding many things even when in advanced stages of dementia and they need to be treated with dignity and respect. Many people lack the empathy to show any understanding.

A lack of empathy is a major component of the narcissistic personality disorder. While we have always had people like this in our community the number appears to be growing. As our population ages more people are being diagnosed with dementia. I have found that many people are scared of those with dementia and many lack empathy. We need to role model appropriate ways of dealing with things, animals and people for others and we also need to educate people on some of these things. We really don't need to have the 'Me' generation attitudes as being the norm.

When Mum first went into a home she got really upset at the way some of the caregivers treated her and/or spoke to her. She felt that she was being treated as a 'thick shit' and demanded that I inform some of these people that she did know what she was talking about - she obviously felt that they were behaving in a condescending way to her. I would do so. I notice that people do the same to George. I can quite see where these people are coming from as they see what is in front of them. They do not see the bright, articulate person this person was. I have made published books for both of them which show pictures of them during their life times. I have found that carers look at these and then look at the person in a new light. I find that many times I ensure that people have some understanding of Mum and George BA (before Alzheimer's). You often become defensive on their behalf rather like the mother of a special needs child.

Tolerance, empathy and understanding - all values we all need.

Here endeth the lesson....

No comments:

Post a Comment