Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Routines being reestablihed

George had his first day, since Xmas, back at his club. He really enjoys this. While he is there I go to visit Mum. It always brings home to me the journey George is on.

He is still talking about his FaceTime talk from Sunday, several days ago. He is so thrilled to be able to be part of his son's life. He talked to all the members of the family, including the bird and told them all about our cat, Fluffy Bum. This interaction and regular contact will help with his remembering them. This is so important as it really struck me how he no longer recognised many of the people he used to work with - this was at a funeral where he no idea who most of his former colleagues were. Of course it also means his son is well aware of his father's progression in a more meaningful way than this blog can provide.

I had a lovely email from the son telling me how much his father meant to him when he was growing up as well as how much it meant to him to be able to have this regular contact with George and to be able to share his life with George. I read this to George last night and he was so thrilled. He is looking forward to Sunday, I see this as being a highlight of his week. So lovely and it shows George  how his son does care about him and wants him to be part of their lives.

George was pretty tired last night. It takes me a good half an hour to get him ready each evening. At this point I try not to do everything for him but try to encourage him to do as much as he can. I will tell him to take off his shoes which he will then do. This continues for each piece of clothing. He can only deal with one at a time, for example I can't say to take off his shoes and socks. Also he no longer  knows names of all articles of clothing. Of course I also need to deal with the catheter and put his night bag on. Once in bed comes a familiar movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment