Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Aggression

Yesterday I was talking to a woman who is a social worker with the Alzheimer's group. We were talking about those people with Alzheimer's who become very aggressive. Often these people have early onset Alzheimer's so they can be physically fit in other ways and be very strong. The combination of these factors make these people difficult for family and carers to cope. I have seen some of these people in Mum's home doped up to the eye balls. One woman who was like this now sits quietly without moving but the look on her face and in her eyes shows such suppressed anger, it is so hard to watch. I always have a chat to her as I have never seen anyone visit her. Recently she has given me a lovely smile and the change in the tortured look in her eyes to a calm look is lovely to see. While I realise it is necessary to dope these people up so they don't hurt themselves or others it just seems so wrong to see them like zombies. Unfortunately I don't know the answers.

What I have also seen happen is a home refusing to keep a resident because of aggression and so they are shifted to another home. Reminds me of schools expelling or excluding children. What is happening is that you are just sending a problem somewhere else for someone else to deal with. There must be a better way.

1 comment:

  1. This is what happened to my Mom. It's so wrong. It's often the fault of the caregivers that the person with dementia becomes aggressive. I know because I've experienced it myself, I've done it myself.

    There are other ways. Sedating people is wrong in my opinion.

    Here are some places to start: http://myalzheimersstory.com/2014/11/11/3-books-and-1-loving-video-that-will-change-the-way-you-see-alzheimers/

    Also watch Teeepa Snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pQaZykZls

    AND Google these: the eden alternative, Naomi Feil and the Green House Project

    There are other answers...

    ReplyDelete