Saturday, December 27, 2014

Memory

Memory is a funny thing. I am lucky that I have been blessed with a great memory and can go back to when I was a very young child. These memories are clear and factual - over the years I have checked up on these. Some of my friends from school days will often ring me to ask about an event or a person which they have no memory of but I will be able to fill them in on it. It also means that a lot of the time I know when people are not being truthful as I remember about whatever I am asking them. And of course some people have very selective memories where it is to their advantage. It actually took me a long time to realise that others don't have this ability to remember so much. I am hoping it will hold me in good stead in the future.

Something I do regret is not asking Mum and Dad more questions about their families and their lives. I often did not listen carefully either.

George had a good memory for the All Black rugby games and has retained some of this.

Something I find so sad going in to the home to see him and going into the home to the home to see Mum is how some of the residents have few or no visitors especially around Christmas time. For many it must make them feel that they have just been dumped there and that their children don't care; very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment