Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Home again

Got Gearge from the home this morning. Something I really notice about the majority of rest homes is that the residents spend a lot of time in their own rooms on their own. I contrast this with Mum's home where they are all in the lounge and the staff are constantly interacting with them; this is something I value highly.

On getting home we have looked at some of his memory books. This is something I try to do a lot in an effort to ensure that he recognises these people even though he doesn't see or rarely sees any of them. He is now starting to ask me who some the people in the pictures are. Today he asked who one person was? I said, "who do you think it is?' He then said 'he's a bad buggar'. I asked why and he said, 'he tells bullsh....'. There was a pause and he continued, 'he tells lies.' He was very pleased with himself for remembering who it was. I must admit it was very funny and he was almost shouting it when he remembered that, very excited he was.

 It is important to keep looking at pictures of family members and friends and to talk about them as if they are no longer in the person's life they will soon be forgotten.  He does remember the friends he has made at his club which is great.

He still has a bladder infection which I need to keep an eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment