Saturday, February 4, 2012

so much has happened

I am now going to start to document this blog daily so it shows a record of how a person slowly degenerates into the world of the Alzheimer's.

Since I last wrote George has slowly come to accept that he has Alzheimer's but is trying to fight it. I have a list up on a white board each day so that he knows what day of the week it is, what month, the date etc. It then shows what he needs to do for that day.

I have found that without prompts he does not regularly shower or wash (I suspect that he just stands under the shower rather than washing). I also need to check clothes needing washing. He is not able to shave properly. Two weeks ago I asked the doctor if someone could come to help him with showering and shaving a couple of times a week. The doctor was reluctant but I insisted as I can see that it is going to get worse and if George can get used to someone helping now it will not be so hard further down the track. Last week George's caregiver, Mark, came for the first time. George was not too keen on the idea but Mark was really good and let George set the pace and be as independant as possible, wonderful help. Mark comes at 9.30 on the days he comes - 3 times a week.  One morning I found George about to get into the shower at 7 rather than wait for Mark. I suggested that we have breakfast and we went to the dining room. Before you could say 'Jack Rabbit' George had gones and turned the shower on again - that happened 4 times before Mark arrived.

I went to put the dish washer on this morning and found a whole lot of cups on the bench - some clean and some dirty. I asked George about them and he said that he was took the clean ones from the dishwasher for me to put away. He didn't seem to remember getting out the clean ones from the cupboards.

We had some friends round for drinks and nibbles last night. George was telling a story when he found that he couldn't find the words he needed. He covered it up successfully but he then talked to me about it later, he obviously finds this frustrating as language is his strength.

It is so sad as I know he is trying so hard and is frightened of going into a  home - hopefully that will not happen for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment