Sunday, January 5, 2014

Differences between days

Today someone else was going to see Mum but again couldn't because they might be having carpet laid. I am thankful I went as Mum was wide awake and grabbing at things. This is the sort of day where I think she may recognise if someone doesn't go and see her, I am not sure. I took George with me as he hadn't been out for a couple of days and he likes to go out every day if possible - he gets 'stir crazy' otherwise. I am always reticent about taking him as one day it will penetrate that that is where he is headed.

I recognise that I would feel guilty if I didn't go and I feel bad enough that I am not doing a good enough job without adding that to the mix. I certainly envy those with the confidence to know that what they do is right and do not feel this way.

Mum looked at me twice and straight away said my name. She also recognised George and her eyes lit up and she tried to say his name and grasped his hand. He took in some of his cuttings to show her and I tried to tell him she would destroy them; he didn't listen and she did. I massaged her arms, hands, feet and legs with lavender oil which she enjoyed. We looked at photos and videos and I chatted about our life. I read her nursery rhymes which she enjoys. That seems to relax her. It is important to keep things pretty quiet and just go slow and relaxed when dealing with her.

She likes to drink through a straw and will not have a bar of a sipper cup.

I feel so sorry for the caregivers in the Home, they are fantastic but often work under trying conditions; for example the dishwasher in the back lounge has been broken for three weeks and is not yet fixed. These things mean less time spent with the residents.

In addition I had to go to Nurse Maud to get continence pads for George and go to a chemist to price some medication Mum has been put on. The Home will be charging her for these so I am looking to see if they are cheaper somewhere else.

When we returned home I was busy and George:

  1. got out rolls of wrapping paper and completely unwrapped them for the cardboard
  2. poured himself a wine and didn't turn the tap off resulting in red wine over the floor and bench

No comments:

Post a Comment