Friday, January 3, 2014

Little things

If you are a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's you also need to take care of little things for them. I clean out George's razor - I did not realise that he was not doing that until about a year ago when it wouldn't go as it was clogged out. Now I clean it out weekly. He is also not too good at shaving so I tell him the bits he has missed.

Another thing  I need to do regularly is cut his finger and toe nails as he can't do this any longer.

Often these people will sit there waiting for you to do something with them and are not capable of doing much.

I keep the oven turned off at the wall - George can't use that. He can't use the microwave as he can put something in, turn it on but can't open it to get it out again. Similarly he can no longer use the toaster or jug.

He gets pretty confused doing even small things; for example I put his cereal in a bowl in the mornings for him to put the milk in. He now puts in a lot more than he needs and it then goes down the drain. This morning he also put a whole lot in a mug but not to drink - he is not sure why.

It is important to try to keep him independent as possible but it can be a bit hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment