Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter

A very quiet Easter for us - there are times when you can feel quite isolated. But we did not feel totally on our own. My sister sent a lovely e-card for us which we both enjoyed and then my son and grandchildren rang from Auckland. One grandson was going out on the harbour fishing with his father (a chip off the old block) while the other had things he wanted to do. They spoke to both George and to me so that was lovely. Both grandsons had been into the chocolate Easter eggs and enjoying them - they sounded very excited.

My grandchildren and daughter-in-law are coming to Christchurch this week and I am very excited. They wanted to see us Thursday but unfortunately I have already made an appointment that morning which is quite important - I did that as George will be at the Evergreen club that day. They will be here for over a week so I am sure that they can fit some time to see us. I particularly want to make sure that the boys see mum as she wants 'to see the boys before I die'.

It is really good for George when family ring or email as then he feels that they care. It is really sad when family members do not bother to keep in touch although it is a reality for some people. For others it is really fantastic to see how family members and friends help out during the rough times. My sisters Skype and email which is lovely and I have another cousin in Australia who rings and one in Wellington who stays in regular contact. I know that it is difficult for everyone as they also have their own lives  with their own problems and often, I think, it is easier not to think what is going on elsewhere.

When a family member had cancer some time ago it was nice to see different family members leaving their own families and going to help out at different times, I am sure it makes a difference for all concerned. For those with Alzheimer's it is similar as they know that there is no cure and they are fighting hard against the disease and they need all the support that they are able to get from their families and friends.

Skype is a great way to keep in touch and it costs NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment