Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reliability

Caregivers may find, as I do, that you need to be extremely adaptable. George has someone who is supposed to take him out each week to go for a wee walk, go to the library or go for coffee. If she is unable to come I am often not told until an hour or two after she was due to be here. I have learnt to be grateful for whatever happens however it means that you cannot make plans for this time until it happens as you don't know what will happen. Other times you may find yourself waiting for someone - this is when I find the iPad good to keep ME occupied! You also need to be available at all times in cases you are needed whenever the person is not with you or if they are in a home. I find there are many times I don't know what I am doing from one minute to the next.

George now uses pull-ups for his continence issues. These are great but again they are not something you can also rely on. Most mornings the bed is dry but this is not always so.  On the bed I have a waterproof mattress protector, the I have a large sheet of plastic followed by an old towel and finally the sheet. Believe it or not many times the bed is wet right through to the mattress protector. I have two pairs of arctic sheets which dry incredibly quickly. The mattress protectors take a lot longer to dry so I have bought three of these to ensure that there is always one dry and clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment