Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Bewildered

I took George to the funeral yesterday which was held in town at the cardboard cathedral. I left home quite early as I was not too sure of the road closures and I also wanted to park as close to the cathedral as I could. We parked behind the cathedral in some bare land which is where people park when going there. Unfortunately this is very uneven ground although I was able to park reasonably near the the footpath. George moaned a lot getting to the footpath. There was also a strong wind and George moaned all the way into the cathedral. We sat near the back in case I needed to get him out of there which luckily I didn't. We had just sat down when an old colleague of George's came in with his wife and sat with us. That was great and George knew who he was so sat next to him looking like a wise old owl who knew exactly what was going on which was certainly not the case. He said to me later that someone had told him that he had been mentioned in the service and I told him who had mentioned him and about their 'old farts' group. He thought that was wonderful. Many people wanted to see and speak to him but many he had no idea of who they were however some he did know. Straight after the service someone  came and thanked me for bringing him and said she hoped we were staying for a while as many would want to speak to him which I had thought would be the case however it soon became apparent that with all the people and all the noise it was too much for George so we had to leave. Several people told me that it was so sad to see him like this as they remembered George for his story telling and wonderful sense of humour both of these are now only seen rarely.

No comments:

Post a Comment