Monday, January 9, 2017

Food and drink

Often it is difficult to ensure people with Alzheimer's do note stand drink properly. George has been having difficulty using cutlery for a couple of years now. He now only uses a spoon and needs to have food cut up. Unfortunately he often has difficulty getting food on the spoon. He makes moves as though that is what he is doing but no food is on the spoon. He then 'eats' that food and is quite sure he has eaten his tea/dinner. I have tried to feed him but this proves difficult to as he rolls his tongue so no food goes in - passive/aggressive? He is actually reluctant to eat and is now down to 66kgs. As he is 6 foot 2 inches this is certainly underweight.

I take him plenty of sweet things for him to have, for example chocolate milkshakes which he loves but he also needs a good balanced diet as well. He is also sleeping a lot.

Today, when I went, he was sound asleep. He heard me mention the Rugby museum to someone! His eyes opened and we were able to have quite a chat. He knew who I was but now has little memory of others. We are wondering if things at the moment are due to the Shingles which he has just over.

I have now moved into the flat which is now my permanent home. So far have just got the essentials and will gradually go through the rest of the stuff - there are five garages full. George has been a hoarder all his life plus stuff belonged to other family members. It is quite overwhelming if I think about it too much.

I am still having a nurse in every second day to change my leg dressing. The leg swells a lot each day but I guess I am not resting... It is healing well however and there has been no infection.

6 comments:

  1. Five garages full and I was feeling overwhelmed this morning about our stash. Hope the leg continues to mend Di: make sure you have lots of 'me time'. Hope George is awake and eating on your next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow but steady is my motto these days, if I think about it too much it is totally overwhelming. My inclination is a skip but in amongst the stuff is some important bits and pieces so I need to be careful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. take care of yourself di

    {{{{{hugs}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paring down is one of my 2017 intentions. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, but I'm quite certain it will be painful :) Soldier on Di, soldier on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, one box at a time. Problem is it is often hard to get rid of things. Some of those things I am taking photos of. Other things I think I might use it one day! I am trying to think no, out it goes... It takes me ages!

      Delete