Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Listen to the family

Carers, and other family members who are actually there on the ground floor, are really the only people who actually know how best to care for someone who has Alzheimer's. If Those working in the Health Sector remember this it helps to ensure the best quality of life.

When George first went into the home he wore a onesie at night. We also put it on back the front. This was because George kept taking clothes off during the night. Sometimes he would put other clothes on. As he is incontinent he wears pull-ups. He would take these off. This could result in an awful mess. Using the back the front onesie stopped this as he couldn't open it. It worked really well.

In the home they told me that George didn't do this any more and asked me to buy him some pyjamas which I did. For some time all has been well, but guess what? He is now back to taking everything off at nights. This started again while he had Shingles and has continued. I didn't say anything figuring they would work it out. This morning I decided to suggest that to them. With his lack of appetite it hasn't been too bad for them but George is obviously going to keep doing this. Always amazes me how people really are not good as problem solvers. If they had listened to me in the first place the problem wouldn't have arisen.  I must be honest and say I did think 'better them than me'.

I think those of us who are the carers have to be fantastic problem solvers. You also need to think on your feet as you need to monitor everything all the time and change quickly if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment