Friday, October 31, 2014

Good days and bad days

I often think good days and bad days are like 'the good, the bad and the ugly' when dealing with those with Alzheimer's especially when they are incontinent.

Yesterday I had to change George 5 times! I have just changed him for the first time today. Also I need to wipe his bottom as he is now unable to do this properly (baby wipes and rubber gloves). I often find myself putting on several loads of washing each day.

I was discussing this with the caregivers in Mum's home and they have several men in there who are the same. Someone told me I would know what to do as I had had a child! This is not true. It is the same with all sorts of things about dealing with Alzheimer's. A lot of people think that with Alzheimer's they go back into their childhood. It is different with each person but I have never seen anyone doing that. With the people they need to be treated with dignity and respect. People think you can divert them - this is often easier said than done and they are often bigger and stronger than you are. When George has made his mind up to do something well that is the end of that there is little I can do or say to stop him.

No comments:

Post a Comment