Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Ask a stupid question...

Most of the time, when I visit, George is accepting of what is happening and appears happy. 

This week I nearly burst into tears. 

George was OK when I first went in and we chatted about various things as George had some chocolates. He was rather confused but reasonably happy. He then got up and started walking using his walker.

"Darling, where would you like to go?" I asked. 

To my horror I watched as his face crumbled and he nearly burst into tears as he whimpered, "I want to go home". 

I quickly started talking and saying about how our house was being fixed after the earthquakes. He calmed down and we walked down to the lounge. 

This is the first time he has said anything about home. 

I felt awful for the rest of the day. There are times when it is very demoralizing, very sad. You can only do your best and everyone needs to be safe and well cared for. Unfortunately the time does come when one person is not enough to look after the needs of a person with Alzheimer's. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this was a stupid question: I ask it most days. Wanting to go home is part of Maureen's DNA and I face it most days. As kate Swaffer often points out the Welsh word hiraeth sums it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think it was just that he seemed so vulnerable and I just felt awful knowing it was not going to happen. However having said that I am not sure that knows what he means by 'home'. I hate seeing him unhappy.

      Delete