Sunday, September 28, 2014

Home again

George came home yesterday. The washing is already underway. The toilet paper is now coming quickly off the roll and is found in strange places. I have his seat well set up so that, hopefully, it will remain protected. He is still regarded as rest home level and not yet what they call D3 which is the level where they go into a dementia unit.

I use this home as it is one of the few that will take bookings. I have developed a good relationship with the admin staff and they always fit him in, sometimes in a very plush apartment. This home has largely been rebuilt due to the earthquakes. The rooms are lovely and the staff very nice. There are activities for the residents but very little interaction between staff and residents. I spoke to a nurse about this yesterday and she that actually there is not the interaction as they don't have time. The dementia unit is on the 3rd floor. This is something I would not be happy about, it is so nice for people to be able to go outside,everyone loves to smell the flowers. There is a lot of research to support this view about those with dementia and gardens. When the new gardens are completed at Mum's home I am planning to wheel her out into the gardens and sit in the sunshine, a thing I always appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment