Sunday, May 8, 2016

Missing

George got up in the middle of the night. I suggested that it was night time and to go back to bed. He was reluctant so I said I was and to go back to bed when he was ready. Usually this works. He hates being cold and likes to stay warm in bed. George never goes off our property on his own. Occasionally he will wander down to the old house or down to the letterbox but it is very rare and I always know as usually I have suggested it. He NEVER wanders off on his own, famous last words! 😒

Last night at some stage however he decided to go to see someone he worked with! He set off with only his onesie on and no walking stick.
🚢🏻
I woke up early, pitch black! It was before 5 a.m. No George. I searched all over the property inside and out. No George. I searched all over our old property, no George. I knew he wouldn't have gone to the beach as the track is too difficult for him now.

I walked to the two streets in each direction straight outside our place. No George!

I rang the police. This is where it is really hard being so totally on my own.

The police researched all the areas I had been. No George.

My front neighbours were up by then getting ready for work. They also helped in the search.

Finally he was found some considerable distance away down the road. They brought him home. I gave him some breakfast and chatted to him.

He said he was off to see someone he worked with and had some pages from a photograph album with him. At one point he knocked on somebody's window, luckily not waking them. He knew he was lost. Someone tied his shoe laces for him! Unfortunately he couldn't tell them where he lived. He did not have his identity bracelet on which has his name and phone number.

Thank God he didn't fall. Some very scary hours!

2 comments:

  1. So was I, very scary. This is when it may start to be unsafe keeping him at home

    ReplyDelete