Friday, May 13, 2016

Happy birthday to me

today was my birthday. Got a phone call early this morning from the boys in Auckland so that was a lovely way to wake up.

I had organised for two guys to help me getting some of our stuff up to the old house. This is giving me some space ready for the next lot of packing. It is taking a long time but I am gradually making headway. When we had finished I took the boys to a cafe for lunch which was nice.

Came home to a phone call from my sister in Brisbane so that was also nice to hear from her.

I then went over to the home to see George. I was going to take him out for coffee but when I saw him I realised it may be unsettling for him. We sat and chatted. I told him it was my birthday. He wished me a happy birthday and then undid the buttons down the front of his shirt. He reached inside his shirt and pulled out a folded advertising booklet which he gave me for my birthday. He was so thrilled with himself that he had that for me. I thanked him and we looked through the booklet together.

I asked him if he would like to go out for lunch tomorrow. He thought that was a great idea and I said we would go to Honeys. He was so excited and said, 'the Honeys'. I told him that yes it was. He told me about some new friends there. He seemed pretty happy and settled which is a great relief to me. Before he came in to the home I had explained carefully what I would be doing and how he would be coming home, this seems to be helpful to him.

I then popped in to the local mall on the way home and bought myself a caramel sundae for my birthday - I rarely have these so it was special.

All in all a pretty productive day.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Diane <3 and thanks once again for your amazing blog posts XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Susan, I love your blog too and recommend to others here. It is so good to find realistic caregivers rather than the sanitised stuff I found online when first had family members diagnosed. Everything I saw was people sharing wonderful times together. I got some very confused messages and what I was experiencing was so different, it can actually make you feel inept unless you realise what things are really like.

    ReplyDelete