Friday, March 11, 2016

Tips and tricksI

George did bounce yesterday and had a good day. A good sleep obviously helped.

Some of the things I have to help me cope with various things


  • I keep a jar of peppermints in the car, as soon as he gets in the car George gets himself one
  • As he is incontinent he wears incontinence pull-up underwear. He started to take them off in the middle of the night resulting in dreadful messes. Now he wears a onesie to bed. We put it on with the opening down the back so he is unable to take it off. I have tried the normal way but he still took it off. It was trial and error before we worked out this way.
  • Because caregivers vary in their ability I have found it easiest to have a big bag prepared for each morning. In this is everything that they need to dress George. By everything I mean everything. It is worth taking the time to do this.
  • Keep everything going in a routine as much as possible.
  • Try to keep them as independent as possible. I also make sure that the caregivers do this as well. If you don't do it you use it.
  • Treat them as an adult and with respect. I have heard people say it is like dealing with a kid and also speaking to them in this way. Both George and Mum pick up on this very quickly and get upset about it.
  • Never argue or try to reason with them. I agree with everything.
  • Learn patience, you will need it
  • Rummage bag - I have a bag with photos and stuff George likes to look at. I often give it to him when he is waiting for a caregiver
  • Be very aware of your voice tone. George gets upset if I use a tone that he perceives as annoyed. He tries very hard to do the right thing. I try to keep my tone light and happy even when I don't feel like it. It certainly makes it easier.
  • I make sure I have some me time, I regularly meet friends for coffee. This is very necessary otherwise you can become very isolated.
  • George enjoys red wine. His caregivers come pretty early to get him ready for the night. As soon as he is in bed I take him a red wine and put on one of his favourite movies. He loves it and enjoys going to bed. He tends to roll over and sleep before the movie ends. I keep the remote so I can turn it off from the door and turn the light off. 
  • Attend carer support groups, you will pick up ideas from others. Some will work in your situation while others don't. Usually it is worth trying.
  • Remember quality of life for everyone is the main priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment