Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Television

I have never really seen why they do not have television on at my mother's home. I do now.

Last weekend we went out for breakfast at a lovely winery. Afterwards I asked George if he enjoyed it. He told me there was good and bad. I was slightly taken aback as it was a lovely meal in a lovely setting. I asked what was bad and he told me, in a forlorn voice, that he hadn't seen the horses. At first  I could not work out why he was saying that. Finally I worked out that we had watched a programme the night before about a herd of horses  being culled in the North Island. I explained to him that there were no horses and we had seen it on TV. That made little difference as he told someone else, the next day, the same thing.

George got up and was walking around and I asked him where he was going. He replied "to Townsville". I told him that was fine so he sat down again. There had been an ad on TV about Townsville. Another time, while watching the News, he got up to see the Prime Minister!

While none of these things were too significant I can now see how those with Alzheimer's find it difficult to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment