Friday, December 27, 2013

Number with Alzheimer's

My mother has an old friend Helen who she went to school with. Helen did not have children and is still living alone at home but now has Alzheimer's. Since just before Christmas she has been contacting me and telling me about some of the things that have happened. She obviously needs support so I have contacted a case worker at the Alzheimer's society to try to organise some help for her. Unfortunately it is a difficult time of year to organise these things.

Today I put a DVD on for George and left a big morning tea for him.

I went and got Helen and took her to see Mum. She was shocked at how Mum has deteriorated. Mum was asleep for most of the visit but drank her milkshake and so did Helen drink the one I got her. Helen had taken in a present and was trying to waken mum to open it without any luck. Mum did open her eyes at one point and reach out to stroke Helen's hair and face so I think there was a glimmer of recognition.

On the way home I took Helen shopping. As with George this takes a long time. Helen has a lot of difficulty with her ATM card but with me there to help we managed it.

I talked to Helen the whole time about how having someone to help and/or support would just make her life easier. Until she gets some help I will obviously have to ring and check and go and take her shopping - she does have some trouble answering the phone I have found (same as Mum and George) and obviously holds the wrong end to her ear at times.

Raced home to get George some food and for me to face the mess here.

Staying in your home town has definite disadvantages!

No comments:

Post a Comment