Saturday, January 16, 2016

Quality of life

Last week a community nurse told me that George had the best quality of life of any of the Alzheimer's people she dealt with. I felt really good that I have been able to provide this and I also did try to do that for Mum too. I was known amongst many of the medical people as a great advocator for both of them.

Something I do for George each night is:
When he gets into bed I put on a favourite movie and give him a red wine.

He has drunk red wine (lots of it) for many years. As of course, this is not good for the brain cells I do limit this now.

I try to hide the wine cask in different places but he always managed to find it and try to pour from it!! Wine all over the kitchen cupboards and floors. I finally found that by putting it in the oven he hasn't found it there.

Recently he found a box (with coffees) and thought that it was red wine.

Result:

 
He then tried to pour a red wine from the box on the left...

2 comments:

  1. Everyone who lives with dementia deserves the quality of life that George has. it's a tragedy that the vast majority have nothing near it... :(

    keep up the good work <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree Susan. I admire the care you give your mother also and the work you are doing to raise the awareness of Alzheimer's.

    You keep up the great work too...

    ReplyDelete