Friday, April 11, 2014

Spoke too soon

I spoke to soon when I wrote on the blog yesterday. George was very confused all day and not feeling well. I put him back to bed for a while and then during the afternoon spent a lot of time chatting to him.

I find that routine is best. Each day I get George breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. After tea I get him ready for bed and then put on a DVD of his choosing.

Monday: caregiver to shower and dress. Julie ( a caregiver) takes him out for an hour and they go to have coffee (costs me $10). 3rd Monday in the month to Alzheimer's coffee at Wigram

Tuesday: caregiver to shower and dress. Harakeke club - 10.30. I drop him and go and see Mum. After I have seen Mum I do any shopping and then come home. I take a child for reading later in the afternoon and then George comes home in the van.

Wednesday: caregiver to shower and dress.

Thursday: caregiver to shower and dress. Harakeke club - 10.30. I get the groceries and come home. Later I have coffee with a friend and then pick George up from the club (about 2.30 - 3)

Friday: caregiver to shower and dress. Go to see a friend who is recovering from an operation. 3rd Friday in the month Alzheimer's memory group. Last Friday in the month Alzheimer's coffee afternoon for East siders

Saturday: I get George dressed. I go the home to visit mum. At present George is OK to stay at home alone. I try to get all towels and sheets washed before I go in the morning

Sunday: I get George dressed.

By having them in routine it seems to give them structure.

Do you ever have those days when you are not feeling well and just want to spend the day in bed? As the sole caregiver I can't do that. I am just getting over a cold and chest infection. I have found that the only thing you can do is get an hour in here and there (usually that is not actually when you really feel you want it) and go to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment