Monday, November 14, 2016

What a difference a day makes

As I have been driving around I have been looking at all the cabbage trees which are in flower. According to Maori when the cabbage trees flower early we are in for a long hot summer. I was looking and thinking about a wonderful summer ahead.

I just love these trees and we have several of them on our property. Unfortunately they are a pain to have as they shed their dried leaves and these need to be picked up and put into the rubbish otherwise they get caught in you mower and wreck havoc with them. The leaves can't be composted.

On Sunday a reasonably tranquil day, George loves seeing me each day and some of our friends also called in to see him.

At midnight that night

a 7.5 earthquake struck

I was in bed and was woken up. This earthquake was different from the others we experienced over the last six years. There was no noise and it just rolled back and forth for what seemed and eternity. I was on the first floor. The house
was creaking - due to the earlier damage. I lay thinking "should I stay here or should I go outside". I thought that if I went outside and the house came down I would be underneath it while if I stayed where I was and it came down I would be on top of the rubble. Totally irrational thoughts I know.

We were evacuated until after 8 the next day. I was dressed in a onesie and on my own in the car, not pleasant.

The main damage was in Kaikoura which has been cut off due to road damage. We are all thinking of them and trying to provide the appropriate help for them.

I went straight to George yesterday morning and watched the news about the earthquake with him. He had felt the earthquake but was not worried which was a relief.

I am off to see him soon and then attending a meeting with other carers and the home personnel.

There are certainly a lot of times when it is difficult to be dealing with everything by yourself.

I am hopeful that one day life will continue gently and without incident.

3 comments:

  1. Di, glad to have the news that you're okay. even though you are on the other side of the world, I'm reaching out to you and virtually holding your hand. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. prayers and {{{{{hugs}}}}} for all the people in new zealand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your thoughts, they are important to me especially when these things happen. 💗😇❤️

    ReplyDelete