Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Stagnating

I know that people with dementia need to keep having their brains stimulated. It is well known that when people are put into care that they go 'downhill'.  I have seen this happen.

A man, Roy, was diagnosed with early onset dementia. He lived at home with his family. He went to the same club with George. He was always talkative, enjoyed a good sense of humour and was enjoying life. He went into the same home as George at the same time however he was still classified as rest home level and not dementia. I saw him most days when I went in to see George. He knew who I was and always greeted me. He always had a twinkle in his eye. Now 5 months later, the light has gone out of his eyes, he is now in a dementia unit with George, knows no one and sits in chair and sleeps the day away. It is so sad. I have never seen anyone come in to visit or take him out.

George has remained at the same stage. Obviously carers cannot ensure that all the residents are engaging in activities to provide stimulation. By going in each day I ensure George engages in everything even when he doesn't want to, for example exercises. I do it with him and then he really enjoys it. I also talk to him so much about his life, his family and his friends. We also talk about what is happening in the world. George getting the one on one helps him, I did the same with Mum.  I always have chocolate or marshmallows which everyone shares. They all think I am there for them too.

I look at how well Kate Swaffer is living her life. Five months ago I would have said Roy was in a similar situation. Are we letting these people down? Do we need to concentrate on helping people live well and helping those around them to support them? 

As I have always said "quality of life"

4 comments:

  1. sadly - what you are describing happens all too frequently in senior centres like that.

    where my MIL is - same situation - people sitting around staring into space with nothing to do.

    when we go to visit - i make eye contact with everyone sitting in the lobby and wave to all of them. the ladies that i've known for a few years now i give hugs to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully understand that the homes do not have enough staff to provide the care we are talking about. I have been thinking about this and am going to a meeting next week. I am going to suggest that they ask families to volunteer to help with activities (like parent helps in schools). I am also going to suggest some activities for them to introduce.

      Fingers crossed. I figure the only way to get change is for us to get in and help with the change.

      Delete
  2. There's no doubt about it as you will see from my stance in today's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire how you are coping. George would not be in the home either but we have now been out of our place for nearly 6 months for earthquake repairs. I am living in an area of our old house which was too badly damaged to repair. The whole house is on a lean like the leaning tower, not safe for George. In the past 6 years I have just had to do the best I can with the circumstances I have found myself in. Sometimes I feel like Alice when she fell down the hole...

      Delete