Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wedding anniversary

Today was our thirtieth wedding anniversary!

I took in two chocolate sponges for everyone to have for morning and afternoon tea today.

George and I sat going through his books and talking about all sorts of things that have happened over the years. George was having a good day and enjoying reading his books, talking and eating chocolate.

Another resident had received mail which he couldn't open. It had come to him from his son in Australia and was delivered to the home. I said I would help, so with a group of seven onlookers we started. I used a key as a letter opener which they all thought worked well. When it was opened I pulled it out a little way so he could pull it out himself. He wasn't sure what it was so I read all the card to him - with the others listening avidly. There were also three photos (luckily with names on the back) so we talked about those and I wrote his name on them so they don't go missing. All up that was a half hour with all those people really involved and joining in. They were all relaxed and so happy.

While we were doing this the caregivers were getting the lunch ready. Hopefully they try using some of my techniques - I always try to model how the carers should be, same as I did with aspiring teachers.

3 comments:

  1. "Hopefully they try using some of my techniques." Hmmmmm. Good luck with that! :(

    I love what you did and it's just common sense, but it seems either there's not enough care staff, or they don't have enough common sense :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why 'retire' Di when you have skills to pass on to a such an important audience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I don't feel retired at all and try to show the way, many carers do not have much training and little understanding of dementia

    ReplyDelete