Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Passing problems along

The comments Amazing Susan made on my last post reminded me that I had not shared my own thoughts about how we sometimes deal with those of us with difficult behaviours.

I was a teacher for many years. During this time I regularly stood up for those children that other teachers wanted to be 'stood down'. In the old days this was called expelling a child from a school. My attitude always was that the failure was the schools and that we needed to have strategies to deal with these children. All that you do is give the problem to another school! I could never see how anyone could think was beneficial to a child. While I was there no child was 'stood down'.

Some time ago I knew of a case where a person was in a home. She had early onset Alzheimer's and was very strong. She frequently lashed out and many caregivers were frightened of her. One day a family member came in just as this woman hit the family member's mother. A formal complaint was made - result. The woman was taken away for reassessment and moved to another home. Exactly the same as in the education system, pass the problem on for someone else to deal with.

I spoke to a senior staff member about the minister and said about how our education system deals with the problems and that I hoped that they were going to look at how they had failed rather than blame him - this was my way of dealing with these things in our school.

I am now watching this space...

3 comments:

  1. My brother has just been expelled from his Care Home as his wife had the audacity to complain about their neglect of his oral thrush. I now understand he is in a better place. I hope it will be possible to raise this matter with the CQC when the dust has settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is appalling, I would go to the top in a case like this...

    I was having some trouble here so I sent an email to the CEO of medical board here. Boy did I get action within 24 hours no less. Often some of these people think they are a law unto themselves. Here, although the homes are a business, they actually have to run under the medical board's rules and regulations. I have found that they don't like the thought of bad publicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, they sometimes are a law unto themselves :( and thanks for acknowledging my input :)

    ReplyDelete