Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Routine

I have found that routine for those with Alzheimer's is so important. That way they know what is going to happen.

A week ago George was supposed to go out for a walk and coffee with a caregiver, she rang not long before to say she was sick so they did not go. I took him instead but...

that night he refused to take his shoes off to get ready for bed and in fact he was determined that he wasn't going to bed as we had to go to his club NOW.

The carer got me in to calm him down (he was very agitated). Finally succeeded.

Luckily this has not happened again. He knows that when he gets into bed he will have one of his old movies and a red wine!!

In the first days I used a whiteboard so George could see what was happening each day. I never found this very successful although I know that some others do. George would not go and read it nor would he when I suggested that he do this.


I am going to take some respite care over Christmas this year and spend it with family. I am SO looking forward to it. It will be a first family Christmas for a long time.  

1 comment: