Thursday, June 28, 2012

Taking care of the carer

I keep being told that it is important to take care of the carer - easier said than done. I retired to look after mum and then she went into a home and straight away George was diagnosed. I knew nothing about Alzheimer's at the start of this journey (in 2010) and now I feel quite an authority on it... Most people caring for someone with Alzheimer's have other family members around to help share the load. Unfortunately I have two family members living here and both have Alzheimer's; all our other family members live in other places so I am it. This is why I started this blog was to let the other interested family members check in here to find out what is happening.

Something I worry about is my own mind. Although I couldn't work full time I do like to do things with my mind to keep busy. I am so grateful to those friends of mine who have found work for me. With one I did some relieving teaching work which I really enjoyed. I was working with young girls who had specific problems in their lives and were trying to move on. I found the interactions with these girls rather stimulating and hope that their lives go the way they want them to. Another friend has been finding me some data analysis to do for some research projects, this has been really interesting, particularly as it is about education and so it is something that I am interested in. The old job I left employs people to work on contract but unfortunately they have not offered me any work at this point. At the present moment in time I am able to work part time but as George progresses this will not be possible. To those people (friends and family) who have helped me to gain jobs or who have been there for coffee, chats etc a great thank you as that is so wonderful when you are in this sort of position.  It makes you feel as though someone else cares.  I must say though that you do find out who your friends are.

I meet friends for coffee regularly which is great and gives me some time out. At the moment the weather is freezing but as it improves I am going to look for some clubs or groups to join.

I also play a lot of Suduko and do the crossword puzzles in magazines and online - hopefully this will help the mind (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment