Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Confusion

I visited my mother today. Another one of her cousin's came too and we took her out to a cafe for a coffee and a muffin. She enjoyed her time there and the three of us talked about the family at the time of her childhood. She is able to recognise us and her long term memory is often pretty good. Her short term memory changes.

As we went back to the home she became very upset and kept saying about 'being dumped there', how she hated it there. how she did not like anyone there and so it went on. When we arrived back at the home she stamped her foot and said 'and now I'll be here for another --- year!'!! We calmed her down and got her back inside. It is not easy when she gets so upset. I try to distract her but sometimes this does not work for a while.

A week ago I booked some flights to Auckland to see some of the family. George and I did this together. We have booked a flight for him at the beginning of November (for a week) and I am going up this coming weekend (two nights). Since then he has asked twice about when his trip is and I have told him and explained that it is not for another two months.

Yesterday morning George wandered out with a stack of clothes. I was not too sure why he was doing this and so I asked him about it, he was packing. I explained that the trip is two months away so there is no need to pack yet - still he has left that stack on the floor in the bedroom so he is 'ready'. I find it easier to let him do things like this which he seems to need to do.

During the day he spends hours pouring over old sporting books and making lists about old players. He is passionate about rugby and looking forward to the World Cup but cannot make sense of why the games being played at the moment are not part of the World Cup. I keep explaining that the World Cup hasn't started yet and there is about 20 days to go! We have this same conversation most days....

No comments:

Post a Comment