Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Harakeke Club

George goes to a club each Tuesday. It is for people with Alzheimers and has a big waiting list so he was very lucky to get in. He really enjoys it and spends a lot of time chatting to the other people there.

I have picked up his incontinence pads which will be a help. These are very expensive to buy and I was really grateful to George's caregiver (who helps him with showering) for telling me to get on to the doctor to refer him to the clinic. This way you get (free) a monthly amount.

I was talking to someone today about how life changes so quickly without any warning. Two and a half years ago a round of voluntary redundancies was offered. I decided to take this so that I could look after mum and she could stay at home. I worked out my finances and decided that, with care, I could just afford to do this. I had a freehold home and knew that, so long as I did not splurge out we could do this. Now we are in situation, due to the earthquake, of paying rent and as well as a lot of other unforseen expenses. Of course also mum's Alzheimer's progressed to a point where it was longer possible to keep her at home. I think of the things I had planned to do when I retired and cannot see any of these things happening in the near future; if ever. I guess things will work out in the end but it is not easy when you are on your own and overseeing two people with Alzheimer's. Sometimes I think that most of my life is tied up with doing things related to this disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment